APLN – Research Laboratory 2021
Countdown to APLN Research Laboratory 2021
Challenge Submission Deadline
“Good sessions and a really nice local community.”
“…great opportunities to network and share ideas”
“It was valuable to learn different approaches to solve Agile problems”
“Very valuable to have a venue to share, learn, discuss technologies and agile approaches being applied at other companies as well as in consulting practices.”
“Great Networking to get a “booster shot” of information”
Check out our recent appearance on the Agile Chicago Style podcast where we talked about this conference in detail!
Research (n): investigation or experimentation aimed at the discovery and interpretation of facts
Laboratory (n): a place providing opportunity for experimentation, observation, or practice in a field of study
In past years, the annual agile conference was a place to learn from the experience reports of whatever speakers volunteered to share their stories. They were good stories. Almost too good. But it was largely a passive activity for the attendees. They attended, and absorbed. In 2021 we want to find out what would happen if we deliberately unleash the learning potential of the community…
Tackling real-world problems by proposing solutions, measuring effectiveness, adjusting as necessary then reporting on outcomes.
Join us for new kind of Learning Opportunity
starting May 3, 2021
The Research Laboratory is more than just a couple of days of networking. It provides an opportunity to engage throughout the year.
- Call for Challenges – Issue a public call for potential research topics; Big Audacious Problems that present challenging scenarios for business. (complete by February 15)
- Share the proposed research opportunities (client partner characteristics and the challenges they face). Solicit level of interest from the community. Solicit Workshop proposals and call for Facilitators (complete by March 15)
- Call for Participation – based on indications of interest, finalize the list of research opportunities and workshop proposals, ask potential attendees to register and identify the research topics that interest them most, and role they would like to play. (complete by April 1)
- Identify the core Research team participants (Client Partner, Research Lead, Coordinator). (complete by April 15)
- Conference Occurs – 3 days: Keynotes, Challenge presentations (parallel tracks), Solution Workshops (parallel tracks), Finalize Research Team(s), Coordination Kickoff(s) (May 3-5)
- Plan-Do-Study-Act cycles commence under guidance of Research Teams (cycle for 3-6 month)
- Document results, draft whitepaper and experience report
- Collect, publish, distribute whitepapers (complete by 12/31)
- Host experience reports at subsequent APLN meetups
Still have questions?
The Call for Challenges has begun. If your challenge is accepted, you will become the key stakeholder to an agile research team that will propose solutions and document the outcomes as your challenges are addressed.
Each real-world challenge will be assigned a team of researchers to analyze the challenge, recommend solutions, monitor the results and adjust course as necessary. Results will be captured and the research team will be co-authors of the resulting experience report.
Each research team will need someone to coordinate the activities during the conference, and make sure the research team continues to meet in the weeks following the conference.
During the conference, all attendees will have the opportunity to attend skill-building workshops to learn about specific agile practices and how to apply them. Do you have what it takes to show them how it's done?